13 December 2011

Road trip

The Max Files has been in the doldrums for the past few weeks, but that was because Sue and I went on a tour around the country.

The idea of the trip started with an invite to my nephew's wedding at Dullstroom in Mpumalanga, which made us decide that if we are going to travel that far, why not make a holiday of it and come home on a circuitous route via the Great Karoo. This has been something we have wanted to do for a long time - so we grabbed the opportunity.

Big skies and wide open spaces in the Free State

We ended up travelling 4,193 kilometres over 11 days and visited seven of the nine provinces. For much of the time we were in the Northern Cape, enjoying the wide open spaces and rugged beauty of the Karoo.  The area is so sparsely populated that there is little or no Internet connection, so there was no real opportunity to do any blogging.

The road from Fraserburg to Sutherland is typical of the wide expanses and openness of the Northern Cape

Not being people who like being tied down to schedules, we only booked our first three nights accommodation and from there onwards, it was a matter of going where our whims and the road took us. Luckily Sue and I are both very flexible and made a few impromptu changes along the way and had a fantastic trip.

2 comments:

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

Sounds like s tunning trip and I'm sure we will still see lots of pictures from it. I'm counting down to the start of our trip on Sat.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

Well, our road trip is about to start. We're heading out on holiday on Saturday so I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I have done forward posts for both my blogs so they will still come up on your feeds every day, I just won't be commenting as I'm not taking the laptop along.

Ps, I did my 1000th posts on PEDP yesterday.