23 April 2015

Skywatch Friday - Kgalagadi Sunset and Bateleurs

The Kgalagadi has definitely become one of my favourite spots in South Africa, in spite of its harsh and inhospitable climate, but for me that is part of the attraction.

Add to that its rugged beauty and its variety of wildlife from antelope to predators and the unbelievable variety of bird-life from the little brown jobs to the magnificent raptors. It is no wonder the place is fully booked a year in advance. Once it gets into your soul you can't get it out.

This sunset scene was captured along the Nossob River, with the clouds starting to build up at the beginning of the rainy season.


I usually keep my posts to one picture, but today I have decided to also include some of the magnificent raptors I was waxing lyrical about. The Bateleurs do not subscribe to the old adage that the early bird catches the worm. They are late risers and prefer to wait for the sun to rise before they do. Bateleurs are scavengers and set off as soon as the air to warms up, so that they can catch the thermals and look for their prey, or should that be carrion.


For more super pictures from around the world visit the Skywatch site.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recognize your FB pic:) It's you! Love these birds - so colorful!

eileeninmd said...

Mello Max-E, What a gorgeous sky and scene And the birds are really cool. I would love to go birding in Africa.. Great post, enjoy your weekend!

Kayni said...

It is my first time to see raptors. Wow...beautiful and exotic looking. Love the sunset as well.

Sylvia K said...

Awesome, incredible skies/colors and such a superb capture, Max!! Really took my breath away!!

Jim said...

Great sky

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You gave us a double bonus today. A great sunset pic and those birds. I've never seen anything like them.

Anonymous said...

Wow - both shots are just fabulous!

s.c said...

Very great shots. Like them both. Thanks for showing.

Baruch said...

Nothing like the setting of the African sun - so beautiful. In fact, all your photos are beautiful and warms my longing heart .......

Minkamo said...

This sunset is absolutely amazing!
And the birds are beautiful.

Light and Voices said...

Wowza! What a sunset!
JM, IL-U.S.A.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Glad you included that second photo. Enjoyed them both!!

Valerie said...

Oh my goodness - what a stunning, spectacular sky shot Max! That would look fantastic enlarged and placed on a wall.

thomas said...

wow! What a sunset.

Unknown said...

I can see how such a wild area can get into ones soul. Magnificent photos!