10 October 2009

Zwelakhe

Zwelakhe, the leopard is one of the orphans at the Tenikwa Wildlife Awareness Centre. He is nine months old and already quite a handsome fellow.


His was the only cat enclosure we were not allowed to enter, because he is already quite big and is very playful and according to our guide can be quite rough. I was therefore happy not to go into his enclosue, as I do not want to be played with by a leopard. I have also heard that leopards do not teach their cubs to hunt, it comes natuarally to them.
Many farmers still trap and kill leopards, but organizations such as Tenikwa are doing a lot to educate farmers to rather capture and relocate them.

6 comments:

myonlyphoto said...

Max-e what a beautiful animal and photo capture. Unfortunately we don't have such nice and exotic animals in our area, lol, sometimes bears only. Max-e good to see you back blogging. Anna :)

shabby girl said...

Oh my. One could fall under his spell quite easily, couldn't one...
What a beautiful boy...
That God!

Andi said...

What a gorgeous photo!

poefusion said...

what an incredible looking guy. adorable comes to mind. great shot. have a wonderful night.

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

Leopards are my favorite animals. I have never been to Tenikwa. I must try to visit when we go down that way again.

Eve Wetlaufer said...

I love this photo - its eyes say so much.
Check out some of my photos at: http://evewetlaufer.blogspot.com/