29 December 2007

Saturday morning stroll

This morning started off very misty, which is always a good indication of a hot sunny day to follow. The weather report has in fact predicted temperatures of around 35 degrees centigrade today. Our walk took us to the old Russell Road cemetary (established in the middle of the 19th century), by which time the mist was beginning to clear.

Russell Road Cemetary at the Corner of Campbell Street and Elliot Street


Looking across the cemetary towards Russell Road. It is so sad that many of the old graves have fallen into disrepair through neglect.


View across Russell Road towards Central


The grave of James Langley Dalton, is the only one that is still maintained. He was one of the 11 recipients of the Victoria Cross after the Battle of Rorkes Drift in January 1879. You can follow the link to an earlier post on Dalton.


This family of Dikkops have made their home in the cemetary. It is always a delight to seem. They are nocturnal and seem to cope well with city life, especially where there are open spaces. Very often we see them running down the middle of the road at night, screaching at the top of their lungs.

10 comments:

sonia a. mascaro said...

Beautiful misty's photos. Love the purple flowers on the little street! And these dikkop are cute!

Thanks for your comments on my blog!

I wish to you and yours a Wonderful New Year!

Unknown said...

I love the second photo!!

S-V-H said...

I like the light in the 4th picture of that famous man's grave. Very nice captured, Max.

I hope you are fine and I wish you the best for the coming new year!

Tom said...

Hi Max
So glad to hear you are out and about, I am playing catch-up on my blogging today.. I like the sound of these birds, they look comical as it is.
The old wagon in one of the posts below got my interest to.

All the best to you in the run up to the New Year.. Onwards and Upwards now Max ;o)

photowannabe said...

Great misty shots, rather perfect for a cemetery. Good to see you up and about.
May 2008 be a wonderful year for you full of happiness and health.
Sue

Oswegan said...

Nice photo essay Max. I wish it were warm here too.

~Oswegan

Cheesy said...

Wow max 35 c? That's HOT! It got to about 35 d here lol... lovely shots!

NYCindividual said...

I especially like the last photo of the bird. What wonderful creatures birds are!

MedaM said...

Beautiful series of photos, indeed!
Happy New Year to you and to your family to be full of good health and happiness!:-)

VP said...

Hi thanks for telling me about your Rorke's Drift posts. I had a look at both and loved them. It was like I was out there on your walk with you. Strange how early memories of mine provides a connection across many miles isn't it?