12 December 2007

U for "Union Rings"

Oops, do we mean "onion"

This is a photo of the menu taken at a little restaurant in Nieuwoudtville in Namaqualand in the Northern Cape


In South Africa we have 11 official languages so you can perhaps understand why onion has been spelt phonetically.

Some interesting facts about "unions" from the book Let Food be Your Medicine, by Sally-Ann Creed (Anderson Publishing, Cape Town, 2002. (ISBN 0-9584489-3-0):

  • helps to prevent cancer (due to allium and favonoids)
  • reduces cholesterol
  • reduces high blood pressure
  • improves high blood fat profile
  • alleviates and elliminates infections
  • reputedly alleviates asthma, helps colds and flu
  • aids in dealing with gastric infection
  • richest dietry source of quercetin, an extremely potent antioxidant
A view of the restaurant

18 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Love this! The dining chairs are similar to ours...........except ours aew white fabric! How so un-practical in a house with 2 german shepherds and a pussy cat who loves to curl up there and snooze.....muddy paws and all.

Have added you to Mr Linky...ABC Wednesday, so we can keep track of the ever expanding group.

Hope you are feeling well rested.
Denise
xxx

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi max,

Good catch on the spelling. It is only through careful proofreading that my correspondence doesn't end up like that.

Jim Baker said...

i love travelling and looking at english menus :) i'm greatful for them though otherwise I'd have no clue what to order...

jim baker

dot said...

No matter how you spell it there is nothing like onion rings battered and deep fried(eekkkk!).
That's a cute little restaurant!

Andrea said...

Union Rings....cute.

bonnie said...

I love unions, one of my favorite foods. I eat more unions that lettuce on my salad. Now I know how beneficial to my health they are.

Rune Eide said...

Seems like the thing I ought to eat more of.
Nice and informative post.

Lilli & Nevada said...

interesting way to spell it, cute restaurant

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

:) Union!!! haha and I love the interiors too!!!!
Back in India, we have 15 official languages ..you can well imagine the chaos!!!!! :D

kml said...

Love the onions - all shapes, sizes, and styles!

Pete M said...

You certainly know your unions I mean your onions

Annie said...

Bravo. Great find.

Tom said...

Great 'U' post Max.. glad to see you are back up at the blogging... I hope you are feeling better and stronger each and every day my friend.
I'd like to thank both you and Sue for your concern and well wishes... I am feeling much better now that my B.P. is coming back down.
You know where I am if you need to ask anything Max... anytime.

Anonymous said...

Did you know that animals are vegetable sellers as well. Ever stepped on your dog's paw? He runs of calling: Onions, onions, onions!

photowannabe said...

Great post and great catch. I reather have onions than unions anyway.

Neva said...

How cute! I had no idea we could spell onion with a u...very cool.

Kerri Farley said...

I LOVE onions...although have acquired the taste as I have gotten older....wouldn't touch them as a young'un.

Glad you are feeling better and up to posting! Don't over do it!!

myonlyphoto said...

A visit from Union lover, Anna :) Great post and tips about onions