14 November 2007

Q for Queen Victoria

Rule Britania



The Sicilian marble statue of Queen Victoria, situated at the entrance to the Main Library, on the North-Western corner of Market Square, was erected and unveiled in 1903 two years after her death. I have focused in on the statue to show the detail of this amazing piece of work.

The statue is a reminder of British rule, from 1806 to 1961 that so profoundly affected the history of this part of the world.


Born at Kensington Palace, London, on 24 May 1819, Victoria was the only daughter of Edward, Duke of Kent, fourth son of George III. Her father died soon after her birth and she became heir to the throne because her three uncles who were ahead of her in succession had no legitimate children who survived.




What I never realized is that Victoria was almost entirely of German descent. She was the last British monarch of the House of Hanover. Her son King Edward VII belonged to the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.




Victoria was the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 20 June 1837, and the first Empress of India from 1 May 1876, until her death on 22 January 1901. Her reign lasted 63 years and seven months, longer than that of any other British monarch.




Queen Victoria is associated with Britain's age of industrial expansion, economic progress and the expansion of the British Empire; during this period it reached its zenith, becoming the foremost Global Power of the time.



At her death, it was said, Britain had a worldwide empire on which the sun never set.


POSTSCRIPT:
Suzi-k here, Just to let you know that Max had fortunately prepared this ABC post in advance. He has asked me to post it for him. He had a heart attack yesterday and is in intensive care at the moment. He seems to be doing OK, but we would appreciate your prayers.

21 comments:

Tom said...

Oh! my...
Give Max my best wishes... I have had a series of Heart Attack over the last 9 years and will be glad to be of any help I can be to him.. my e-mail is availble and should he or anyone need advise or a word they must feel free to get in touch... I will be thinking well of max.

singleton said...

Ohhhh...Prayers flying! Will be thinking and praying and sending good thoughts! Take care sweet friend, take care

Mike said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Max. My thoughts are with him and I'm wishing him a speedy recovery.

Neva said...

OH !! I will start prayers immediately...Hope he is better soon. Give him our best from ABC Wednesday and a wish to get well soon.
Tell him we love his post. Queen was very good for "Q"

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I'm amazed at how clean the statue is - all the ones round here are covered in bird-droppings.

All the best to Max and hope he recovers soon.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I was really loving this post until the last couple of lines.

I too hope you have a speedy recovery. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Praying for Max. Thanks for the pics. :)

Unknown said...

Stunning photos!
Hope you recover soon, Max. Thinking of you both.

kml said...

Thanks for letting us know, Suzi-k. We will keep him in our prayers.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Very nice history lesson great post

Anonymous said...

You know I was going to comment on Victoria's bony fingers until I read the last part.
Great detail photos Max.

You don't get much more dedicated to the blog than the one who says "publish my post" while they are in intensive care.

Love hugs and best wishes Max, make a speedy recovery. xox

Thanks for telling us Suzi.

mrsnesbitt said...

Hugs Max, from us all! Truly speechless and moved by your dedication!
HUGSxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oswegan said...

Oh my God Suzi,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I will pray for him as well.

Thanks for letting us know.

~Oswegan

Pete M said...

Great photos and hope he is well soon, nice to see he got his priorities right and managed a Wednesday post, just kidding, get well soon

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened Max. Get well again and be safe. Best wishes to you and your family.

The post, by the way, is wonderful. Beautiful images - Queen V would have loved you as a Royal portrait maker.

Suzi-k said...

Thanks all. I have posted an Update on Max's condition here, and am printing out all the comments to pass on to him.

Suzi-k said...

Tom, that sounds hectic for you, but I must say your experience will be reassuring, and I'm sure we will be picking your brain in the coming weeks!

dot said...

So sorry to hear about Max! Hope he'll be back blogging soon.

K M F said...

nice shot

myonlyphoto said...

Max-e, Suzi-k, this is so unfortunate, I wish Max-e fast recovery, and we will be praying for your fast recovery, Suzi-k - stay strong. Anna :)

DigitalShutterMania said...

Thanks for sharing your nice photos and interesting story along with the photographs.

Cheers,
DSM