03 May 2008

Roughing it in the Mountain Kingdom

We have been without phones and internet for six days since leaving for Lesotho, so this is my first opportunity to do a post. Lesotho may be surrounded by South Africa, but it is very different from South Africa. In fact in most parts of the country, it is like going back in time.

Though my cell phone is on international roaming, I could only send sms's when there was a signal. Public phones are available though.

Did I say we were going to camp?


In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, "I lied". Not totally - we decided to go for variety. Looking at the wind swept camping site at Mt Moorosi we decided to try out the local accommodation - a stone built, thatched hut, with the internal walls plastered with a combination of mud and cow dung. In case you are wondering it does not stink, but creates a rather hard textured surface.


Suzi-k looking rather pleased with her abode for the next two nights. That's what it looked like before we filled it with our gear. It was a great experience, even though the matresses we a bit lumpy.

Greeting the dawn of a new day with a cup of hot coffee. By the way it was very cold up in the mountains - for those of us who come from a temperate coastal climate.


Even though we were in a remote area, with very little in the way of modern trappings, we were reminded of the big world that exists out there with the early morning "milk run" fron Durban to Port Elizabeth flying past.

We have so many interesting things to share about our experiences and life in the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho and the journey up there, so watch this space and
Suzi-k's blog for more.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL at the phone booth :)
Those huts are a much better idea than camping. What a stunning place!

photowannabe said...

I can't wait to see and read more about this fascinating country. Your little camp hut loos quite cozy. I liked the phone "booth" too.

Katney said...

We are "expert campers" (a quote from one of our grandkids to his cousin) who have honed our camping gear to provide the best in comfort (without resorting to an RV that costs more than our house ever did and steals away the reality of being out-of-doors) and I can tell you, I would choose the dung-plastered hut in a minute for the sheer joy of the experience. I am looking forward to more, and I hope that you have entered into a new love-to-camp phase of your life.

Tom said...

Welcome.. missed you both.
Those huts do look good I must say.. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and reading your post.