23 August 2007

If you can't join them beat them

The construction of a nuclear power station in the Oyster Bay/ Cape St Francis is, I believe, a certainty in the eyes of the Government. Though the politicians are doing their usual ducking and diving, the reality is that the land was expropriated in the 1980's and the Environmental Impact Assessment's are under way. According to comments by the officials concerned, in the news media, it will happen.

I have tried to keep an open mind about nuclear power and the new safety measures and technology etc, but I cannot continue to do so. The body of evidence is largely negative, so I have joined the anti-nuclear lobby as I said I would in my post The Nuclear Spectre.

A recent article in The Herald gives some background on the issue and the seriousness with which some lobbyists are taking this. There is a lot of debate on the internet as well.

Time is short and interested Individuals and Groups wishing to comment on the subject of Nuclear Energy have until 28 August 2007 to make submissions.

All correspondence should be addressed to:
Mr Langa Zita (Chairperson) and marked for the Attention of Ms Albertina Kakaza, Box 15, Parliament,Cape Town 8000
Tel: (021) 403-3749/65, Fax: (021) 403-2808, E-mail: akakaza@parliament.gov.za

Copies of submissions can be sent to: nuclear@environment.co.za

No comments: