01 August 2010

Flowers of the Eastern Cape #12 - Splashes of colour

Anyone looking around the countryside would be forgiven for thinking it is Spring. It is Winter and we still have one month to go before Spring starts, but wherever you look you will find some plant flowering. These flowers were all photographed at Cape St Francis this weekend.

The Sour Fig is very prolific along the coast. You will also find them in white and yellow.


Phyllobolus is making a delicate splash of colour all along the shore line.


Gazania rigens. These friendly flowers are to be seen everywhere, but only when the sun shines.


I am sure that this is also a gazania of sorts, but I was not able to find it in my field guide.


This one has me puzzled. It looks like a Snake thistle, but according to my field guide it can't be, because it is in the wrong part of the country. Can anyone offer any suggestions?


What I have set out to do with this project is to photogaph different indigenous plants that are flowering in the Eastern Cape, each week. so far I have not been disappointed.

2 comments:

Naquillity said...

the sour fig & the phyllobolus are my favorites of this series. your doing a great job photographing the different plants of Eastern Cape. hope all is well.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I do not pay much attention to distribution maps Max as most of them are very outdated. I have found that with the ease of transportation, seeds and insects, even scorpions are been taken into all corners of the country where they were not found.

These are so pretty and make such a wonderful splash of colour in winter.